Watched Alien v Predator: Requiem today. It was pretty shite and although I'm a sucker for action trash I was a bit gutted to see the awesome originals shat upon by this horrific franchise. I still think Alien and Predator are fricking amazing films that still stand up really well against cgi action flicks of today. Yet the very same things that made (actually, makes) them such good films is that you hardly ever see what it is that's attacking. Admittedly this was probably in part because they couldn't effectively portray the horrors of a Giger inspired killing machine or an alien hunter but in the same way that Spielberg concedes that Jaws' suspense derives from faults with the model shark that made it an invisible yet omnipresent force in the film, so too do the above gain from hardly seeing the source of their fear. In AVPR, however, such fads are thrown to the wind and every lust for blood and continued shots of the fights are satisfied to disappointing effect. Despite crossing some boundaries, seeing a kid attacked by a facehugger is pretty weird, its all a bit crap. Never mind at least Cloverfield utilises the sense of unknown to good effect. A modern Blair Witch but still good and manages not to succumb to giving an overview of the situation at any point. Phew! If that's a short entry I better not write a long one. Besos!
Wednesday, 20 February 2008
Ramblings
I have lots to say (as always) but will keep it concise for now. Stumbled on the pic below from tomicogs blog, he's developing a steel ss chainring for xtr. Sweet and take note that real men only need a slight chamfer rather than a semi circle on the 'ears' of their bastardised crank ;)
Watched Alien v Predator: Requiem today. It was pretty shite and although I'm a sucker for action trash I was a bit gutted to see the awesome originals shat upon by this horrific franchise. I still think Alien and Predator are fricking amazing films that still stand up really well against cgi action flicks of today. Yet the very same things that made (actually, makes) them such good films is that you hardly ever see what it is that's attacking. Admittedly this was probably in part because they couldn't effectively portray the horrors of a Giger inspired killing machine or an alien hunter but in the same way that Spielberg concedes that Jaws' suspense derives from faults with the model shark that made it an invisible yet omnipresent force in the film, so too do the above gain from hardly seeing the source of their fear. In AVPR, however, such fads are thrown to the wind and every lust for blood and continued shots of the fights are satisfied to disappointing effect. Despite crossing some boundaries, seeing a kid attacked by a facehugger is pretty weird, its all a bit crap. Never mind at least Cloverfield utilises the sense of unknown to good effect. A modern Blair Witch but still good and manages not to succumb to giving an overview of the situation at any point. Phew! If that's a short entry I better not write a long one. Besos!
Watched Alien v Predator: Requiem today. It was pretty shite and although I'm a sucker for action trash I was a bit gutted to see the awesome originals shat upon by this horrific franchise. I still think Alien and Predator are fricking amazing films that still stand up really well against cgi action flicks of today. Yet the very same things that made (actually, makes) them such good films is that you hardly ever see what it is that's attacking. Admittedly this was probably in part because they couldn't effectively portray the horrors of a Giger inspired killing machine or an alien hunter but in the same way that Spielberg concedes that Jaws' suspense derives from faults with the model shark that made it an invisible yet omnipresent force in the film, so too do the above gain from hardly seeing the source of their fear. In AVPR, however, such fads are thrown to the wind and every lust for blood and continued shots of the fights are satisfied to disappointing effect. Despite crossing some boundaries, seeing a kid attacked by a facehugger is pretty weird, its all a bit crap. Never mind at least Cloverfield utilises the sense of unknown to good effect. A modern Blair Witch but still good and manages not to succumb to giving an overview of the situation at any point. Phew! If that's a short entry I better not write a long one. Besos!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment