Thursday, 14 February 2008

blue without you

Although I've recounted my elation below, the first few weeks here have been pretty tough. I've been in positions of isolation before and though certainly this trip has been made infinitely better by having Carla to help me (constantly) it has been fucking hard. I managed to get work really quickly but it wasn't going to start for a couple of weeks so I got in touch back home to arrange to get my bike out sooner than first planned. I knew it was a hassle for those involved but I also knew how big a difference it would make to being here, especially once Carla started working. Ideally I would have brought it out myself but carrying my life in 2 bags and getting a lift to the airport fro a mini owner it was never going to work. I know from experience relying on others when you're most desperate is terrible, the feeling of weakness ad inability to help yourself but I didn't see another option. Then I was told my start date at work had been pushed back to the 25th and I knew sorting the bike would be even more vital to maintaining my sanity. All seemed good and an alteration to the plan to make life easier to those back home seemed to imply the transfer would be even easier. 2 weeks later it doesn't look like it will appear for at least a week by which time may as well wait for my new wheel to be built. It seems petty and childish to be so upset not to have a bike, after all I'm in a new country but having no money (neither of us have been paid yet) not speaking the language and not really knowing anyone so having no one to talk to while Carla is at work has been shit. I've been running whenever possible but I can only really manage that for 90 min at a time and I ended up struggling to walk last week as I'd been running for the first 3 days. Thankfully we got the internet today and I can at least go online to chat to folk, look up stuff like the news and understand what the fuck people are saying. All in all pretty gutted, its shitey for those that have to do the graft but i figured someone would be decent enough to take half an hour and pull it all together or if not then to at least let me know what was happening. However, someone has seen my petulant whining as the little scream for help it is and despite having a proper shite day has stepped up to the plate to say he'll sort it out. This despite having a pile of his own shit to get through and his biggest headache with uni to date. I'm not sure he'll have time to sort it out but it means a hell of a lot that he'd try, the force is strong in this weasel and he's my hero for it.

No comments: