Life is grinding on. Actually that's not strictly true, things are getting better rather than worse and had a great weekend in our mate Jose's village, Portillo. (yes honestly that's its name) Was really good to be back in the bosom of a family and although it wasn't either of ours we were definitely made to feel part of it. Jose's dad took great delight in showing me the extent of the home he and his brothers built themselves although at one point I proper shat myself; he patted me on the shoulder and silently led me through to the room we had been sleeping in, pulled back the carpet and pointed to the floor. For one dire moment I thought I had been the victim of an unknown nocturnal 'follow through' and this was his silent protest to my sullying of his front room. Thankfully he was illustrating the under floor heating he had created by leaving a gap under the room and burning wood underneath it. Thank fuck. I also got to remind myself that I enjoy travelling (anywhere except to the supermarket) as much as riding a bike despite having an uncanny knack for falling asleep on anything that moves quicker than I can walk.
All in all great weekend and plenty time to practice talking Spanish (dire) and listening to Spanish (getting better) as well as mulling over future plans. They're still fermenting but kind words from those close have made things much, much easier merci buckets to all. Seeing as primary teaching is as close as we have to a family trade maybe it was bound to happen but today I accepted a job as a teaching assistant at a bilingual primary school. Yup, after almost 20 odd years of protesting that I would never become a teacher (more so since studying 'story books' for 4 years) I have actively sought out and become one. In fact it looks like I will turn down a job as a video games tester with EA games in order to do this job. Ahem. Perhaps senility is creeping in the day before I pass a quarter century? We'll see but fingers crossed everything comes together when the time is right, if it works then I may have started on a path that will, eventually, lead me right back to where I was almost 8 years ago. Scary thought but then I've always (tried) to advocate that the destination is only half the story, its the journey there that really opens your eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment