What a weekend! So much fun and it's all still filtering through in my head. Where to start? Well despite Chris sleepin in (well it was a half 5 wake up call) we got checked in without any problems and arrived in a very warm Brizzle in the late morning. Nervous rebuilding of bikes ensued but they all survived the trip intact so we headed to meet the Spaz for a swally at Mud Dock. The shop's been revamped and a mezzanine floor added and it looks incredible, it oozes quality kit and still maintains a relaxed atmosphere. We were loving the bikes that customers rolled in on, bikes that most people have as their 'proper' bike were bein used as hacks by some folk. We drooled for quite a while before getting a jar and some food.
After some revision to plans we decided to camp on Friday night. Thank fuck because it was quite a ride from Carli's house to the race site but after a few beers and a barbecue the four of us crashed out in the same tent. (I needed body warmth as I'd not brought any sleeping bag or thermarest)
Race day saw me huddled amongst hunners of riders for a Le Mans start and after managing to find my bike I entered the inevitable bottlenecks as loads of riders-tried to squeeze through the same wee spaces. A lap later and I felt ok but not great but felt relaxed as it seems to take me a good hour to get into any ride at the moment. We'd decided to do 2 lap sets and my second was similar to the first, less crowded but still lots of bodies on the course and with so much singletrack it was difficult to pass anyone. I swung into the start/finish and tagged out feeling good but pretty thirsty. The day was so fucking hot and anyone who has seen me in a moderately warm room will testify to my incredible ability to sweat so I was pretty nervous about staying hydrated. Luckily our pit bitch Alec was able to carry bikes and assist in refueling. Chris charged round in scary quick times so all too soon I was back out on the bike plodding around in 45ish min laps to Chris' 35 min average.* I was having fun though and I really enjoyed the rigid fork, made you think so much about lines and forced you to try and stay smooth but after 4 laps I needed to switch to the rebas as my back was killing me and my hands were getting blistered from being battered so much. After coming in from my 6th lap I tagged out to a still eager Chris and went to collapse somewhere, I just felt totally fucked. I'd managed to empty a camelbak earlier in the race and my lack of strength was made worse in the heat which I really struggled with and at this stage I desperately needed proper food rather than energy bars and sweets. I can't really remember what I ate/did/saw directly after this lap, there were definitely noodles but beyond that I draw a blank. Chris came back after his 2 for a rest and was putting in quick times despite getting a puncture! We both felt pretty miserable by that point with cramp becoming a feature of any movement, Chris' 'fish out of water ' a definite highlight. Alec wrestled our limbs which helped but neither of us could reach below our knees without our bodies twinging into spasm. Burgers followed and Chris got a quick massage before 'manning up' for a 7th lap. Fair play to him I felt awful, I hummed and ha'ed about a 7th lap but it was never really on the cards for me, I just felt too fucked. Chris came back from his 7th without his sunnies, a crash had shattered them on his face! We called it a day and went to enjoy the rest of the event.
Spaz had managed 19 laps in his single speed solo event which was enough to win by a decent margin but fell shy of the overall win (he still placed 5th!) Carlien was racing as part of a ladies 4 and the responsibility of the last lap (anyone coming in after the 12 hr mark wouldn't have their lap counted!) fell to her. She rocketed round and got in 2 minutes before the buzzer securing second place for her team, well done! There then ensued the 'preparations' for the single speed national race. Not so much of a race as an excuse to ride bikes and drink we were all given a special one-off pint glass in which to get a free pint of cider and another of ale. This came on the back of a few stellas and was chased by the same. At which point Shaggy brought the cider keg as there was still loads left, however, Dr Jon made it compulsory for anyone who wanted another pint to down a half pint of it first. So we did. I think that's when it started to get messy. It was defininately after that when Charlie the Bike Monger said I had to take part in some bike jousting because 'i was wearing glasses'.....
*Had a look at lap times and 34 minutes average would bemore accurate, even after a puncture Chris lapped in 43 minutes!
No comments:
Post a Comment