It's Sunday and my mood is pretty different from Friday morning. On Friday I felt like I'd had a pretty good week, wasn't as intense as the first week and it felt a lot more coherent than the previous week, things were tying up and relating to one another a bit better. Pretty pleased with myself I sat down with my PBL to discuss the case thus far. Very quickly it became very apparent why I thought my week had been easy. Not only was the topic I'd had to cover for the case covered in our workshops but I hadn't read much to back up the weeks lectures. It was evident I was alone in this. Bugger. So this weekend has been mostly trying to squeeze information into my brain. *sigh*
It's fun but there's a lot to learn, below are our learning outcomes. Not for the year, nor for the module (each module has 6 cases and cases are given weekly) nope the list below are the learning areas for the previous 2 weeks. It's a long way to Christmas.
* Amino acids and proteins
* Basic introduction to metabolism
* Essential amino acids
* Inheritance, DNA and genetics
* PKU
* Breastfeeding
* Composition of baby formula, and breast milk
* Genetics: Carrier status
* Genetics: differences bewteen identical and non identical twins
* Introduction to genetics: genetic crosses/pedigree/punnet squares/cross diagrams
* Consequences of phenylalanine accumulation
* Normal and abnormal phenylalanine metabolism
* Effects of illness on other family members
* Impact of neonatal diagnoses on family members
* Acute inflammation basic principles and features
* Blood cells
* Blood flow in capillaries
* Defence against extracellular pathogens
* Natural defences
* Nature of bacteria
* Recognition of extracellular pathogens
* Types of blood vessels including lymphatics
* (PPD) The importance of familial and social support and implications for prospective old age
* Antibiotics general principles
* Antigens
* Complement
* Inflammatory mediators
* Allergy (definition not detail)
* Fever
* Immunoglobulins
* Antibiotic sensitivity.
* Identification of organisms.
2 comments:
Holy crap! I'm not sure I could learn that list in 2 weeks, let alone stuff about each. Kudos dude and keep trucking!
cheers dude, just need to hold on until christmas...
Post a Comment