I should have known it was going to be a bad day when we left 2 hours late after i ran about trying to find a seatpin long enough that it wouldn't snap my frame. Chris and i descended on Kirroughtree far later than intended but eager to get out and ride during the daytime, a novelty after months of cold nightrides. From the off Chris promptly pulled away from me, never a fan of first hills i wasn't too concerned but over the course of the ride i felt i was going backwards. Sweating out the haggis supper I'd consumed enroute i figured it would at least get better but it didn't. And when i struggle on the climbs i invariably get so fucked that come the descents I get (even) sloppier and fuck up lines all over the shop. Truth be told the most fun i had all day was riding Chris' new singlespeed which only has a front brake, it's the first time i haven't been keen to get my Rig back after playing on someone else's bike. After holding onto it as long as i thought gentlemanly (it was Chris' first ride on it after all) I got back on the 29er begrudgingly. I don't know what it is that went wrong but the last few rides I've felt the length of it more and more, constantly feeling I'm trying to reign it in which i know is far more attributable to my lack of riding style than the bike but i am starting to wonder if something smaller ie 26" wheeled would suit me better. I know i'd get thrown about more on long descents and feel weird climbing on it after the 29er but through switchbacks, up and down, and just being able to point and shoot i think i might get on better.
However, having said all that Chris' first ride on a singlespeed was excellent, he powered his way through climbs and the lack of back brake only served to make him faster descending. (it is fun everyone should try it) Longer climbs such as Tress may test him but to be perfectly honest i only think he'll need a handful of rides to sort out what's the best technique for him to get up long dragging climbs before he makes short work of them too. And with a possible 10 hour race this summer on his shiny ss steed it could be the start of a beautiful friendship.
As for my own riding the fault lies sqaurely between handlebars and saddle, i don't think it's really my fitness although it could be improved rather it's my riding in general has been woeful although yesterday was the worst ride I've had in over a year. Normally, assuming I'm moderately fit, i can keep geared riders in sight up and down but yesterday the only reason i saw Chris is because he was good enough to wait on me catching up. Gutted and demoralised, roll on summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment