To say this camp was better than the last is a slight understatement; it was Asda own brand beans compared to the Heinz variety. I lucked out with a really good class and we covered (well I made them talk about) immigration, religion, race, homosexuality and other major topics that seem to crop up here in fairly one-sided ways. (A view which in itself is biased!) Anyway after some probing questions, unusual examples and real life experiences I think a few more young minds are open to challenging the way things are versus the way they could be.
Chatting about immigration I asked if anyone knew any immigrants? A few said there were lots of Moroccans in their town but didn't really know any immigrants.
"None at all?"
Nah, not really.
"Except me of course?"
That's different...
So it went until we established race was a major factor in seeing immigrants as bad or dangerous. I asked if they knew Lance (another teacher at the camp who is African American) they did so I asked if someone had stolen a bag and it must have been Lance or I that took it, who stole the bag? A few more lightbulbs blinked into life.
Well until Tana, the Director who was sitting in on the debate, told them I probably stole it, lol!
Rambling here but I was genuinely very proud of my little group and pretty sad to see them go :'(
must dash some *sniff* thing in... my eye
1 comment:
Dirty feckin' immigrant! Going over there, stealing their jobs (and their bags)... El Diariamente Correo will be getting a stern letter about this.
:P
Post a Comment